Books!

Saturday, February 7, 2015

I just miss you

When a woman loses her child, she loses a piece of herself. I don't know what it's like to have a late-term miscarriage or a still born child. As thankful as I am for that, I do know the pain associated with a miscarriage.

I carried this tiny, tiny person in me for nine weeks. It was only alive for six. I've been told that my baby wasn't a baby, but rather a clump of cells. I have been told that it's stupid for me to be sad over my pregnancy loss. I've even been told I use my loss as an excuse to be sad.

None of these are true.

That little clump of cells made my breast so tender, I couldn't stand to wear a bra. That clump of cells loved when I ate anything blueberry flavored, and hated when I ate anything fried. My baby loved all things Sonic (the only fried stuff I could eat).

Every February around the middle of the month, my body aches. I don't hurt like I'm getting sick or have the flu. My body longs. 

My womb aches. Maybe it's because it knows that three times over I should have delivered. Maybe it's a mind things. I'm not sure.

My heart hurts. My heart aches and my arms strain to hold someone who isn't here.

Then I feel guilty because I have this amazing little boy asleep in his bed down the hall. He loves me so much. He wants me all the time. He's perfect. Why aren't I satisfied?

The truth is, I am. I am happy with motherhood, I love my son. I know that if I had delivered Harper alive, I wouldn't have Connor. I wouldn't take anything in the world for him.

Can I love them both?

I think so. I hurt and ache and long for my sweet Harper, but I rejoice and praise God for my son. The more I ponder it, the more natural it all seems. My first child was taken from me, and that hurts. It hurts that I got so little time with that baby. But in that loss, I gained a son.

There will always be that desire to hold her. I will always believe I see her in my dreams. I will always go to bed and pray that God lets her come see me.

So tonight, just like last night, I will hope that I see this strange, yet eerily familiar girl in my sleep. Since Connor has been here, she keeps him in the dream too.

And for those few, fleeting minutes, I am able to hold, love and kiss both of my babies.

And I wake up with a little bit of peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment