Books!

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Employee by day...Nursing mother all the time

I have not posted in a couple weeks because I was busy.

I was busy GRADUATING COLLEGE!

So now I have a Bachelor's degree and that's cool. I also only have a part-time job to focus on.

Oh and a baby.

...and a husband.

But at least I'm out of school, which means I have one less thing to worry about.

Of course now that I'm working more hours, I haven't been home with my baby as much and haven't been able to feed him like I was. What's a mom to do?

Pump at work!

I thought this was going to be super awkward, but it wasn't. I work in a pharmacy so when we aren't busy, I just take my hand pump into the back and express. Both of my pharmacists (both women, never breastfed) are understanding about it. Though even if they weren't, I have a right by law to take time out of my day to pump. Period.

And so do you.

For those of you who are about to start back to work and think you may have to stop breastfeeding, you don't. By law your employer is required to give you time to pump (usually 15 minutes) or nurse. I'm not sure, so don't quote me, but I think the employer also has to provide a place to pump other than a restroom. Even if you don't have a "designated pumping area" at work, PLEASE refuse to express your milk where others express their bladders/bowels.

I know there is the possibility of being harassed by your boss for taking advantage of your rights, and if this is the case, go to HR. Go to corporate. Go to whoever you need to, but don't let yourself be bullied into stopping what you feel is best for your child. There are so many different breastfeeding support groups and organizations out there that will help you find the resources you need to combat breastfeeding harassment.

The La Leche League has groups all over the world (literally). There's also a ton of groups on Twitter to follow (just search for #breastfeeding) and Facebook groups to "like." The people associated with these groups are always more than willing to help, and they have in-depth knowledge of the rights you have as a nursing mother. Don't hesitate to get help. Don't hesitate to drain those boobies!

No comments:

Post a Comment