Books!

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

One hot mama

I was at work a couple weeks ago and a lady asked me if I was pregnant.

So that was a slap in the face.

I decided that since a gym membership is included in our rent, I might want to consider using it. I have worked out four days and none this week.
I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but for me, it is. I have never liked anything physical (except GETTING physical, which I've found to be pretty darn good at). But I started running on the treadmill and lifting (small) weights, and it's actually really fun. I look forward to it and I'm disappointed when I can't make time to go.

Don't worry, this isn't about me talking about how super hot I look when I pump iron.

Along with my whoppin' four days at the gym, I've also tried to eat healthier. By healthier, I mean I eat cookies with oatmeal instead of normal cookies. I eat whole grain cereal rather than sugary cereal.

I get stuff with lettuce on it at McD's instead of a big, fat juicy burger that I really want. Believe me, it's a struggle.

Anyway, this post is about how, if you want to lose weight, you can do it and not affect your milk supply. After all, who cares how you look if your baby is angry because you ran out of milk!

For starters, from what I've read, it's best to start out easy. Don't start going fitness crazy right after you give birth, just do it gradually (VERY SLOWLY).

Also, don't take this advice as professional. This is ONLY what I am doing and you are more than welcome to follow. However, I do not take any responsibility for how well or terrible you do, so don't try to sue me. Please and thanks.

One of the most important things about losing weight and breastfeeding is to make sure that you're not cutting down on your meals or food. Just cut out the junk and sweets, or in my case, cut down on them. Make sure to keep meat (unless you're a vegetarian, and in that case, I am not the person to talk to) in your diet, because your bebe needs protein.

Don't cut out carbs. Not only does your body need them for energy, but so does your baby. Plus, if your body has no energy, it's not going to make milk.

Which leads me to remind you that breastfeeding burns calories, so make sure to continue to consume your extra 500 calories than normal, just make sure they're the good calories.

Well Lauren, what are good calories?

That's a great question!

Good calories are those found in fruits (which are also high in fiber so you poop more) and veggies. I'm not a huge eater of either of those, but I do like yogurt and fruit is in yogurt, AND you can buy the "light" kind so that it's not as high in fat. Greek yogurt is always good and it's high in protein too. Plus yogurt tastes good.

Make sure you have fiber in your diet, which you can get from whole grains, wheat, fruit, green veggies and some juices.

In a nutshell (nuts are good sources of protein and are great for snacking), don't change your diet unless it's to cut out those bad calories.

Exercise to the extent that you're sore the next day, but that you're not forcing your body to "over-do" (my mother's favorite word) it. If you get to carried away and hurt yourself, then who's going to take care of that sweet little person of yours?!

I don't know how this gym thing is going to go, but I'll be sure to keep you updated.

OK and just as a side note, I have to go to the gyno tomorrow (because APPARENTLY GIVING BIRTH ISN'T AN EXAM ENOUGH) and I'm hoping my four days will have paid off on the scale. I'll tell you all about it in a week or so, don't worry.

Kelly Mom website, lots of different help topics

Choose my plate.gov It's a government site, so it's legit

Baby Fit, I just really liked this site so maybe you will too

Most importantly, don't give up on breastfeeding. You are doing a terrific job.

No comments:

Post a Comment