Books!

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Our first trip to the library

Connor and I went to the library last week. It was during Handy Week, a week long music festival that most people in North Alabama look forward to because they get to stay wasted for a week straight, AND it's socially acceptable.

Anyway, so we walk into the library and I went straight to the computer to search for the book I wanted ("All Fall Down" by Jennifer Weiner). They didn't have the book, which is what began this journey.

I'm really picky when it comes to books, or choosing one. I like to look at ALL of my options before I make a decision. I mean one of the worst things in my opinion is picking out a book and the whole time I'm reading it, I'm wondering what other book I'm missing out on because I didn't take the time to look for it.

This weird obsession/compulsion leads me to look through each aisle, on every shelf, until I am absolutely positive I have what I want. Needless to say, that can take awhile.

I was holding C the whole time, and he was actually really good. He wasn't fussing, he was enjoying himself.

Really enjoying himself.

"BAH!"

"Bahbahbahbahbahbah"

"BAHBAH!"

"MAAAHHHHH"

These were just a few of the things he wanted to shout out while we were in the reading section of our local library.

Even if it wasn't Handy Week, the library is usually busy, especially in the summer.

So let's look at this situation:

1) Library (A/C, free, open to the public)
2) Summer (kids programs)
3) Handy Week (festivities, visitors, etc.)

And then there's Connor. Loving life. Yelling while the older man with dreads sits in a chair, in the reading section, and tries to take a nap.

I wanted to apologize but he would never look directly at us. I couldn't exactly blame him either.

Then there was the older man who was smiling and talking to C, a sweet gesture, and wasn't upset at all that C was jabbering louder than he ever has while the man was working on his computer.

I tried "shhh-ing" him, but that didn't work. Then I tried quietly saying, "Yes, ma-ma-ma-ma..." so at least people would think I was trying to teach him something rather than just let him scream like the terrible mother I'm sure I appeared to be.

None of it worked.

I went for a different approach.

"Connor, please stop screaming. We're going to get kicked out."

"BA-BA-BA-BA."

I wasn't sure if I should sit down and pop a tit in his mouth or just hurry up and find a book. Which is going to annoy the older people more?

Seeing tits? Screaming baby? Tits? Baby?

I went to the Youth section. I looked around, grabbed a book, and almost ran to check out.

We didn't get kicked out of the library. We actually went back.

And I enjoyed the book I hurriedly grabbed. It was a teen love story, which kind of sucked, but it had a happy ending, which I don't see enough of these days. So I didn't totally regret my decision...

...and even a teen love story is better than "50 Shades of Grey," am I right?




No comments:

Post a Comment